Wednesday, February 16, 2011

How did we get here?

Last night I couldn't sleep.

Yesterday Fuller got in the car after school and with just one sentence managed to ruin my day and break my heart. "Did you know that in like 4 years I'll be getting ready to graduate and move out?" he said with a big smile.

Let me just say:
I AM NOT READY FOR THIS!

I know I should have seen it coming. He's been on that darn slippery slope to growing up for a long time now. First he became a teenager. Then he started having to shave (well at least monthly). And just recently he grew taller than me. But denial is a powerful force.

With the school year now half way over they have started talking to the 8th graders about high school. And planning out the courses they'll need to graduate, and get into college,(and move away). Yesterday Fuller brought home his high school curriculum guide and a sample forecasting sheet to help us plan out his future. It all seems so much more complex than when I was in high school. There are so many more options and things to think about. If you know at 14 what you want to be when you grow up you can now get a good jump start in high school. But if you don't know, will you be behind because you tried out a lot of different classes trying to figure it out? Will the fact that you took "International Cuisine" and "Ceramics" instead of "Business Principles" and "Marketing" as a high school freshman one day come back to haunt you?

Aren't they still supposed to be having fun, and not worrying about their 10 year plan just yet?


I want to go back to this stage:

I liked this stage a lot.

1 comment:

Warmbeachjo said...

It gets easier. It was harder with Alyssa than it has been with Noah since he's the second child. You will survive. Enjoy it, it flies by.