Saturday, January 2, 2010

2009 reading list- my 2nd feeble attempt to read more books

In 2009 I succeeded in reading more books! Some of them were good, some not so good, some held wonderful bits of wisdom that has stuck with me, and some have just stuck with me, even though I'd like to forget them. I'm looking forward to more good books in 2010. My goal for this year is 50 books. I would appreciate recommendations!

* 1- Such a Pretty Fat- Jen Lancaster
* 2- Assassination Vacation- Sarah Vowell
* 3- Milkweed- Jerry Spinelli
* 4- The Road- Cormac McCarthy
* 5- Bitter is the New Black- Jen Lancster
* 6- Three Cups of Tea- Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin
* 7-The Secret Life of Bees- Sue Monk Kidd
* 8-Certain Girls- Jennifer Weiner
* 9- A Walk to Remember- Nicholas Sparks
* 10- The Alchemist- Paulo Coelho
* 11- Quiet, Please: Dispatches from a Public Librarian- Scott Douglas
* 12- Stargirl- Jerry Spinelli
* 13- The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian- Sherman Alexie
* 14- The Birth of Venus- Sarah Dunant
* 15- Each Little Bird that Sings- Deborah Wiles
* 16- The Ten Year Nap- Meg Wolitzer
* 17- A Cup of Tea- Amy Ephron
* 18- Little Men- Louisa May Alcott
* 19- The True Meaning of Smekday- Adam Rex
* 20- Shadow Divers- Robert Kurson
* 21- Starvation Heights- Gregg Olsen
* 22- The Undomestic Goddess- Sophie Kinsella
* 23- Love, Stargirl- Jerry Spinelli
* 24- Fahrenheit 451- Ray Bradbury
* 25- The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society- Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows
* 26- The Last Town on Earth- Thomas Mullen
* 27- The Good Earth- Pearl S. Buck
* 28- The Knitting Circle- Ann Hood
* 29- Dead Until Dark- Charlaine Haris
* 30- Twenties Girl- Sophie Kinsella
* 31- Living Dead in Dallas- Charlaine Harris
* 32- The Ladies Auxiliary- Tova Mirvis
* 33- The Actor and the Housewife- Shannon Hale
* 34- Austenland- Shannon Hale
* 35- Meely LaBauve- Ken Wells
* 36- Shakespeare's Landlord- Charlaine Harris
* 37- Shakespeare's Champion- Charlaine Harris
* 38- The Hunger Games- Suzanne Collins
* 39- Plenty- Eating Locally on the 100 Mile Diet- Alisa Smith and JB Mackinnon
* 40- Shakespeare's Counselor- Charlaine Harris
* 41- Remember Me?- Sophie Kinsella
* 42- Best Friends Forever- Jennifer Weiner
* 43- Catching Fire- Suzanne Collins
* 44- The Art of Racing in the Rain- Garth Stein

4 comments:

Shannon b said...

wow! What a list! Sorry, I don't have much to recommend with my piddly reading habits.
I would like to know from you . . . . what were your top 5 reads this year?

Michelle said...

It's so hard to pick! I guess my top 4 would be:
-The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
-The Art of Racing in the Rain
-Starvation Heights
- Three Cups of Tea

I'm torn on my 5th favorite- I really liked Stargirl, which is a sweet, young adult book. But then there's The Road, which has stuck with me more than any other book I read this year. I hesitate to recommend it though because it has some pretty horrific parts, which stick in your mind when you don't want them to.

Gina said...

You've read a lot of books. I thought I was doing pretty good, but you read about 10 more than me. I'll have to try some from your list.

Enid said...

I love So Be It which is a young adult book and one called Things not Seen. Both very clever and deep. Then there's my beloved Alice Hoffman...I did really like her new one, The Story Sisters, but be warned, she is not a light and fluffy read and some people get mad at her characters. Good news is that I can loan it to you.