Monday, August 29, 2011

The Freshman


Last week I took Fuller to register for high school. Sigh. As much as I beg and plead he just won't stop growing up. The fact that he was measured at 6ft at his last check up is evidence of that. This summer he has been running with the high school cross country team three days a week, so I've kind of gotten used to dropping him off at the high school and seeing him there, but it's still weird. In my mind he's still about 6 years old and into playing with trucks. In reality he's a teenager and into texting girls. It has suddenly become very clear to me that my time with this child is very limited. Between school, sports, homework and friends I know I will be seeing very little of him this fall, and as much as he sometimes drives me crazy I know I will miss him terribly.

At the same time I am excited for him. I am proud of the person that he is, and looking forward to good things from him in the years to come. I hope he loves high school and has as much fun as he had in middle school. I hope he makes good, lifelong friends. I hope he laughs a lot and makes great memories. I hope he finds a direction or plan for his life that he is excited about. But most of all I hope he still makes time for us at home who love him. Because I am still the Mommy, and I'm not ready to let go! (just kidding....kind of)

(Fuller informed me that I wasn't allowed to bring a camera to registration. I guess that's just not cool. So I sneaked a picture of the registration sign earlier in the day and got him with his locker using my phone.)

No comments: