Friday, October 12, 2007

................and exhale

Boy it feels good to let that breath out, been holding it a long time! The other day I was remembering my pregnancy with Fuller. I was remembering how tired I was (months of throwing up every day will do that to you!). I was also remembering the large stack of books on pregnancy, childbirth and parenting that I read. One of the books I read compared pregnancy to climbing a mountain, stating that the energy expended was about the same. I remember thinking that this was the hardest thing I'd have to go through, and how nice it would be to just be a mom, and not pregnant, so I wouldn't be so tired any more. I was so wrong! Those books didn't mention anything about what to do when your husband puts in 13 straight 10 hour days at work, effectively making you a single parent right in the middle of your first grader having a breakdown because their teacher is horrible. They didn't mention how much sleep you'd lose worrying about your kid being in a good class at school, having to talk to your child's principal, getting your 4 year old through their first dental filling, and sending your 10 year old on a field trip that included a very long bus ride, knowing how car sick he can become.
So, I'm now happy to report that we survived (well almost, Paul still has two more days of work before he gets one day off,and I still have to get both kids to their soccer games on Saturday- one here in town,and then a very quick drive to Fuller's game, an hour away), and I've started sleeping again! After meeting with the principal and the counselor at Grayson's school, and keeping him home for a few days while they figured out what to do, he is now happily back at school in a wonderful class with a very nice teacher. Grayson's old teacher liked to yell a lot and belittle the kids in front of the class, and that gave him stomach aches, sleep problems and lots of tears- go figure! Rowan survived his first filling, although he really hated his mouth feeling sleepy for so long afterwards. And Fuller didn't throw up on his field trip, although he said he did feel a little sick.
The lesson I learned this week is that the challenges of motherhood never really get easier, just different.

3 comments:

Shannon b said...

"challenges never get easier, just different" -- isn't that the truth.

My goodness you have had a lot to deal with as a single mom! Especially the class switch thing -- I think I'm too much of a chicken to handle something like that on my own. Good for you!! You are a super-mom!

That is just awful that a teacher would treat her students that way -- especially in 1st grade!! I'm glad that the school worked with you and you were able to find a solution.

Paige said...

Wow, I had no idea that Paul was putting in THAT much overtime. Please call if you need a break! And I'm glad that all those hurdles were overcome with smiles and success!!

Marie said...

Wow, you've had a lot on your plate! We went through the 1st grade teacher thing. I had to go to the principle and pretty much demand to have Caylin changed - she ended up with Mrs. Lake and we loved her! Caylin enjoyed the field trip to the dam. She thought the bus ride was long too.
Keep breathing!