Monday, June 29, 2009

Home


Sometimes I get the strangest feeling, like Portlandia is belting out her siren song, calling me home. Four and a half years later and I miss Portland more and more. Sometimes I long for it. I mourn the distance between where I live now and all of the restaurants, stores, parks, libraries, culture and diversity that I want to be with. I know our reasons for moving were many, and some of them extreme (like a drive by shooting on our street). I work really hard to focus on the good of where we live now, but it doesn't hold a place in my heart. Portland was and always will be "My Hometown".

Lately I have really been craving Portland. I think maybe it's how much fun Summer in the city can be. I love all of the green space, the parks with their well manicured lawns. My niece and nephew are here for the week, so today I took everyone in to town. We went to the Kennedy school for a movie and some tots, and to the Peninsula Park rose garden. We used to live just a few blocks from this park. When the weather was nice, or sometimes even not so nice, we walked through this park every day. We watched the squirrels play, we waited for the roses to turn, and we ran on the rich green lawns. Today it was just as glorious as I remembered. The roses are divine, and their heavenly smell still hits you right as you start down the stairs into the garden. Just like I remember it.

3 comments:

Warmbeachjo said...

Looks like you had a great day. Hope to see you up here soon.

Gina said...

It was a nice day for your visit to Portland. At least it isn't too far to go visit frequently. I am kind of a small town person, but don't mind city visiting occasionally.

Tiffiny said...

Hmmm, I am a small town girl, but I will admit that Portland is a beautiful city. Glad to hear you got your "fix."