Sunday, November 1, 2009

Pumpkins

I don't know exactly what happened to us this year. Maybe we had too much soccer and bad weather. Whatever the cause, the reality is that we broke our more than a decade long streak of going to the pumpkin patch every year.

In fact we almost didn't do anything involving pumpkins this year. But Rowan's pleading face convinced me that we had to do something.

A few days before Halloween we went to the store and bought pumpkins. The selection wasn't great, and we had to pick through the pile to find ones that weren't turning mushy, but were able to find three that would work.

The boys like looking online to find designs that they can make, and I like that the little saws make it easy for them to do all their own carving.

They were pleased with their results, and didn't seem to have missed going out to the pumpkin field much at all.

5 comments:

Jodi said...

We didn't go to our traditional pumpkin patch this year either. Too wet. And I agree...the kids didn't seem to mind much.
Your pumpkins look great! We need to invest in some mini-carving saws. Good idea.

Adrienne said...

We didn't even carve pumpkins this year ... I'm not sure why I couldn't get my act together. I missed the pumpkin seeds!

Tiffiny said...

Nice pumpkins. We made it to the patch but I can't say I would mind if we missed it every other year or so!

Warmbeachjo said...

We never even got ours carved. No time with sports and Forrest out of town all week. Ours are on the front porch as harvest decor for Thanksgiving.

Elder Caleb Habel said...

Right there with ya! It was a weird year...maybe it was the full moon?