Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Bridge Pedal

On a chilly August morning our family headed into Portland to participate in the 15th Annual Bridge Pedal. We were joined by over 18,500 other riders. Grayson was very excited and unfortunately a little "too comfortable" with riding in the city and being around big crowds.

The plan was that Paul and Fuller would ride the 11.5 mile, 5 bridge ride, while Grayson, Rowan and I would ride the 3 mile, 2 bridge Kid's Pedal route.

I realized fairly early on that my ride would end up being the more challenging of the two. Rowan, we've discovered, is quite afraid of heights. Especially when those heights involve water beneath them. Our ride started with a crossing over the Hawthorne bridge, which Rowan now proclaims "the worst place on earth". He made it to about the middle of the bridge before deciding to melt down. Tears were shed, as he planted himself and refused to pedal. Meanwhile, Grayson decided NOT to wait for us, and had taken off across the bridge where I could no longer see him. Listening skills were not in working order. So, while I worried about Grayson alone in the big city, I tried my hardest to get Rowan to move. Thankfully Paul and Fuller were done with their ride by this time, so I was able to call them and tell them to keep an eye out for Grayson at the finish. (I LOVE cell phones!). Eventually I was able to get Rowan going (although not very happily) and Paul called me back to let me know he had Grayson with him. Rowan and I arrived at the finish line emotionally exhausted.

(Didn't we look happy before the ride started though?)

Paul and Fuller had a very different ride. This is the sea of riders working their way to the starting line.

I think Fuller may have been a little intimidated by all of bikes and riders. Not quite like riding around our little town.

What a fun experience for them to share together! And what an accomplishment!

Some of the bridges they crossed had some mighty steep inclines leading up to them.

I was so happy for Paul that he was finally able to do this. He has been talking about this, and wanting to participate for at least 10 years.

In the end Paul and Fuller pronounced it a great day and walked away with plans to do a more challenging route, either the 7 bridge or 10 bridge ride, next year. Grayson decided the kids ride was too easy and he wants to do the 5 bridge ride next year. Rowan decided he's NEVER DOING THAT AGAIN!


I guess I'll have to start training for the 5 bridge so I can keep track of Grayson. Lucky for Rowan that after hearing his plight, Grandma and Grandpa have already volunteered to babysit him next year.

1 comment:

Rochelle said...

I love that you did it with all of you!