Thursday, November 18, 2010

Life Lessons- Soccer Field Edition

After 7 consecutive Falls spent watching my kids play soccer, I must admit, I just don't get as excited as I used to. As the end of Summer nears, and coaches start calling with practice schedules I begin to mourn the loss of my Saturdays.

But then I see my boys' excitement about their teams. And I watch them run and play with their friends.

I see them weather 90 degree heat at the start of the season and 40 degree cold at the end. I watch them smile and laugh as they play in the pouring rain and get covered from head to toe with mud.

I watch them learn to work as a team, and learn to accept both encouragement and criticism from their coaches.

I watch them push themselves to play harder and run faster.

And I feel proud of them,

even though their teams both lost most of their games this season.

Because they welcomed each Saturday morning, ready to play their hearts out.

And because older brothers cheered on their younger brother.

We also enjoyed time with devoted grandparents, who make an effort to watch every grandchild play, every season.

Yes, I am a soccer mom. And we are a soccer family.

1 comment:

Shannon b said...

what cute boys! And what a great tribute to soccer season. You got some great pictures this year. I need to get me a bigger zoom lens. Just today, as I was running around in the POURING rain, I thought to myself . . . I'm so glad soccer is over!