Saturday, September 15, 2007

Soccer double header



We had a very busy soccer morning today. Paul had to work again, so unfortunately I was on my own. Fuller had a game at 9 and Grayson had a game at 10. Luckily they were both here in town, but they were at different fields. Fuller's game got off to a great start, with him scoring his team's first goal. They continued to play fairly well, but their defenders really struggled to help protect the goal. By half time they were down 3 to 1. Early in the second half a player on the other team took Fuller down with an intentional trip. Luckily the ref caught it and blew the whistle, but while Fuller was down he took a hard cleat to the leg as the other players scrambled for the ball. He got up and kept going, but eventually asked his coach to put a sub in for him. Fuller is one who would gladly play every minute of every game, so I know his leg must have really been hurting. He would never admit this to me in front of his buddies though. Unfortunately I had to leave Fuller's game early to drive Grayson over to the field where his team was playing. By the time I got him settled with his team and drove back to Fuller's game there were only 2 minutes left in the game. They finished with a 5 to 7 loss, so I missed a lot of action while I was gone. Then we headed back to catch the second half of Grayson's game. He was cute as ever and gave me a huge thumbs up when he scored a goal. Unfortunately one of the players on the other team took Grayson down with an illegal attempt at a slide tackle. He slammed the ground pretty hard and reopened an old scrape on his knee. So I got to head home with two injured players, one of them bloody, and a four year old that had pretty much had it with watching his brothers play soccer! Can't wait to do it all again next Saturday!(lots of sarcasm in that last sentence)





3 comments:

Paige said...

Oh, man. I didn't know soccer was such a rough sport!! I don't want Jillise coming up against anyone trying to slide tackle her!! I'm glad everyone came home in one piece!

Anonymous said...

Wow, you really had your hands full! And your poor boys, what troopers after such rough games. I'm sure Bailey will soon be sporting some war wounds of his own. It can get pretty wild out there with 12 legs and feet going after one ball!

Jodi said...

Oh the joys of boys! Sounds like a rough and tumble game of soccer...one Ben will be enjoying very soon! I can't wait to be a soccer mom :)