Monday, September 24, 2007

That's why they pay me the big bucks!

Or they would, if I actually got paid for what I do! Today I had to take all three boys to the dentist, by myself. I have only done this once before, since I usually talk grandma and grandpa into going with us. But last time we went they all did really well, so I thought I should just do it on my own. This was my first mistake. My second was scheduling the first appointment of the day. I thought this was a good idea since it would mean Fuller and Grayson would miss the least amount of school, but this really should have been the least of my worries today. We have a wonderful pediatric dentist who the boys really like and are very comfortable with, but her office is about an hour away (very close to our old house actually). So since we had the first appointment, and a long drive in Monday morning rush hour traffic, I had to drag the kids out of bed at 6:30 and start badgering them to get dressed, eat something and find all of their school stuff, so I could take them straight to school after the dentist. Lets just say everyone was in a bad mood by the time we started our drive. Fuller of course was a nervous wreck. Fuller has never had a cavity, but he worries about it so much he practically makes himself ill. Grayson and Rowan were just plain grumpy and argumentative, and they didn't improve too much once we got to our appointment. Rowan refused to let them take x rays, but then at the very end allowed himself to be bribed into it, and Grayson had the worst time with having to sit. For awhile it felt like I was stuck in one of those horrible dreams that you can never wake up from. The good news was that Fuller and Grayson had no cavities. Rowan got a good news bad news report. The good news was that the x rays showed that he actually does have all of his grown up teeth. (He has some teeth that are fused together, meaning he doesn't actually have all of his baby teeth.) The bad new was that he has to come back for a couple of fillings. His darn funky enamel just hasn't protected his teeth well enough. So I have more fun times to look forward to. I have a feeling he isn't going to cooperate too well with the whole filling process, even with the gas.

6 comments:

Warmbeachjo said...

I bet it will be a long, long time before you try that again. Sorry you had such a difficult day.

Anonymous said...

Oh, that does not sound like fun at all! My turn is coming up here pretty soon, because neither of my boys have been to a dentist yet (we can only enroll in our insurance program once a year and we have missed our opportunity twice now) and I have a feeling that both boys will have some cavities to deal with. At least 2 out of your 3 came out with no cavities, that was a plus!!!

Marie said...

Megan's had to deal with that too. She had chicken pox and a high fever at 15 mo., when her 1st molars were forming, (that's the theory) and she has had to have fillings not because of poor hygiene but weak enamel.
If you are going to a pedodontist she should have some pretty good coping techniques up her sleeve! We've referred kids who struggle to pedo. since they do that all the time!
Good luck!

Shannon b said...

oh I'm so sorry Michelle! Conner had to get 4 fillings last summer (over 2 visits) and I was so nervous for him. We also went to a pediatric dentist, they had me stay in the waiting room, and like Marie says, I think they have some good techniques to get the kids to cooperate because Conner came through it surprisingly well.

I'm sorry you had to go through that today. good luck with everything!

Jodi said...

What a day :( So sorry you had such a tough time. It sounds like you could use a mommy break. Wanna go get a pedicure?!!

Aundrea said...

I heard the other day on the news that the average stay-at-home mom would be worth around $150,000 a year! If only....