Monday, April 20, 2009

The Joys of Running Away


This weekend I ran away from home, and I took my sister with me. We decided to meet about half way between our homes, which ended up being the lovely town of Olympia Washington. I've never really been there, except to drive by on the freeway,so it was fun to see what it has to offer. We stayed at a hotel right in the downtown area, so we could walk everywhere. I was very impressed with the shopping and restaurants. There are blocks of funky little boutiques and yummy restaurants.

We were also really close to the waterfront. We went for long walks, and even took our books down and sat by the dock to read.

This is the view from our hotel room. That's the state capitol building on the left. Our view was fabulous and the location really couldn't be beat, but DANG! that hotel had some rock hard beds.

It was so nice to have some uninterrupted time with my sister. The last time we went somewhere without husbands, children and housework was almost 18 years ago. Much too long ago! It's pretty wonderful to get to walk around and shop and talk all day, and have the most difficult decision of the day be which restaurant we want to go to for dinner.

I just had to throw this photo in here, I love this statue we saw down along the docks. It was called "Motherhood."

It was also nice to know that the boys can survive without me. Although when I got home they were all complaining that Paul had made them clean. Ack...the horror of it!

3 comments:

Paige said...

What a wonderful way to spend the weekend! Great idea. :)

Enid said...

My hometown is pretty cool, eh? Next time you go, let me know and I'll give you the hook up on other things to see there. Did you hit Archibald Sisters at all?

Tiffiny said...

I want to run away too! What a great weekend. I think I would probably be able to sleep just fine on those rock hard beds!