Friday, April 24, 2009

Things to ponder while sitting in the middle school parking lot at 10 :00 PM

Earlier this week Fuller had a track meet over on the coast (a couple of hours away), and I'd be lying if I said I was completely comfortable with him going. Paul and I had been really against him having a cell phone this young, but I was really thankful that he had one on him that night, since they didn't get back until after 10:00. I'm having a hard time with the whole "letting go" thing. I just don't really think I'm ready for him to be out and about in the world so much, without me. A few years ago a good friend gave me a sweet little book called "Growing Up and Other Vices". For some reason the title of that book has been stuck in my head lately. Growing up really is a vice, a bad habit that children have gotten in to. As much a I would like to keep my kids little, I see the writing on the wall, resistance is futile. Having a sixth grader has made that clear to me. This seems to be the year where everything is changing. I can't deny the aging process any more. Fuller's school is currently taking part in the Stars program (Students Today Aren't Ready for Sex). The other day his homework was to discuss with a parent the effects that a teen pregnancy would have on his life. What happened to conversations about the new line of Lego's coming out? I want to go back to THAT stage. This week I also went to a parents meeting about Outdoor school. In a couple of weeks I get to send Fuller off to camp for three nights. Fuller's never been away for that long without Paul or I. I know he'll have fun. I LOVED Outdoor school when I was a kid, but that's going to be a hard week around here. Not being able to even talk to him from Tuesday morning until Friday afternoon will be torture. The even harder part is realizing that this is only the beginning, I still have so much more "letting go" to survive. In the Fall Rowan will be in school all day, and that will put an end to my relaxed mornings of snuggling and reading stories. I'm going to need to get a puppy or something.

10 comments:

Paige said...

Wow. Sex homework for Jillise in four years?? I think it's time to move to that deserted island I have yet to find. And if you miss little boys and snuggles I'd be happy to send Jaren over whenever you want. :)

Gina said...

I feel the same way. I was always on edge when Tyler went to basketball games on the coast until he would finally arrive home at 9-10pm. I was also nervous about outdoor school, but Tyler had blast last year when he went.

Warmbeachjo said...

It will get easier eventually. You and Paul will come to enjoy your freedom when Fuller is driving in a few years and the other boys are spending more time away with friends and sports. Forrest and I even get to have a real conversation occasionally.

Rochelle said...

I was so so nervous about outdoor school with Tresa and now I think I can handle it alright. It is about that time that it starts to sink in...they're growing up!

Candy said...

Having gone through this stage a few times:) I never like it. That crossover can be a little scary. But you have been the best mother ever and your boys will always know where to come home to! I was noticing last Sunday how gorwn up Fuller seemed. It can be some of the funnest memories you will have with him this crossover age. Will you help remind me when Autumn starts school next year that I will be OK?

Tiffiny said...

I love reading the posts of moms with older kids. It makes the stages my kids are going through that much more enjoyable. I would rather discuss where chicken nuggets come from than teen pregnancy any day! You are doing a great job, keep it up!

Adrienne said...

Oh my ... Henry starts kindergarden in the fall and the thought of him gone all day for 5 days a wk is killing me ... I hadn't even thought about the stage where you are ... I better get on some meds now ;-)

Elder Caleb Habel said...

It is hard to let them grow up. Hard like I have not know before and yet I take such comfort having coach Sumsion nearby and good LDS youth there together. I think those two factors have really help me cope. Alyna loved outdoor school.

Elder Caleb Habel said...

I just visited Shannon's blog and saw the adorably cozy slippers you made for her. SO CUTE!!!

Lynn Boyle said...

Well, your better than me. i didn't let Tanner go to Astoria last week. because neither Dax nor I could take him home.. we still have not let him have a cell phone the one he has he pays for therefore doesn't use it..i am just not ready.. the TALK during STARS wasn't so bad and outdoor school was so great i let him go to camp Lutherhood last summer way up north.. (it was a long week for me) so i guess as parents we pick and choose what we let them do.. it's so hard. sometimes i think we hold him back on hanging out with his friends and sleepovers. etc. but he is also content in hanging out with us.. I have no answers i just know it will be easier with Jake or i hope it is. anyway...