Tuesday, March 3, 2009

The boy who loved numbers

Rowan loves numbers. When I say he loves them, I mean he REALLY loves them. He talks about numbers day and night. He loves seeing numbers, whether it be on a clock, a cash register, or anywhere else he may find one. For a while he counted. Everywhere we went I heard counting behind me in the van. Soon after, he began asking for math problems. Simple addition satisfied him for a time, but then he wanted subtraction. Now simple problems aren't enough, he needs 2 digit numbers. Paul was quite surprised one night to have Rowan correctly solving 2 digit addition problems in his head, even ones with regrouping involved. Rowan says problems like 16+16 are easy. "You just add the two tens, and then 8+8 is 16, so you have another 10, which is 36." His latest fascination is negative numbers. He just loves doing subtraction problems where the answer is a negative number. He especially likes ones where it's a big negative number, like 1-100. Rowan asks people to ask him math problems all day long, and not just family. Today he was asking the school counselor and his teacher to please give him a hard math problem. He really liked showing his teacher his knowledge of negative numbers. It really is wonderful, but he does drive me crazy. I feel really awful when I just have to say "no more math Rowan." For the last few weeks this is pretty much the last thing I've said to him every night at bedtime.

If only he felt the same way about words and letters.

8 comments:

Aundrea said...

Wow! That is really impressive! I wish I loved numbers:) Maybe he can come over and help my kids with their math homework sometime?

Rochelle said...

Give it time maybe letters and words will seem more interesting later. For now scream for joy he's loving something academic!

Nicole said...

That is impressive!! Way to go Rowan!

Tiffini said...

He sounds just like Ethan! And Wyatt has now entered the counting phase. Wyatt also has no interest in the letters/words. One step at a time right?

Adrienne said...

I have a checkbook he can balance ;-)

Anonymous said...

First of all, way cute picture below! I tried a little photo shoot with my boys and their hats as well, but I didn't have much luck.
And about Rowan, I love it! I have a thing for numbers too and it drives Todd batty. But I wasn't that good at his age for sure!!! Or even now :)

Tiffiny said...

Sounds like you have an Einstein on your hands!

Jodi said...

Ooooo...I LOVE how he solved 16+16! You can tell he really 'gets it'! What a smart boy :)