Thursday, November 8, 2007

Farewell my bovine friends

When we first moved here one of the things that Grayson and Rowan loved the most was the field at the end of our street. It really wasn't anything exciting, just a field with some trees, a little old house, and two cows. But to my children who had spent their entire life up to that point living in an inner city neighborhood, the concept of cows living on your very own street was pretty darn exciting! The first few months we lived here we walked down and said hi to the cows quite often. We spent a lot of time wondering what their names might be, and making up our own silly names for them. Now three years later the cows aren't quite as exciting, but the boys still take note of what they're doing if we are walking or driving by the field. Some months ago we received a notice that a developer was going to put 30 some town houses on that field. We were so disappointed! (and apparently so were many other neighbors, as people did what they could to stop the town homes from being built). The last we had heard about this was that the developer had changed his mind and was going to build houses instead. We still weren't happy about this, but it was a little more acceptable. Then we didn't hear anything for awhile. Yesterday as I was driving home from picking up kids from school I noticed that not only were the cows gone (probably they've been gone awhile and I just didn't notice), but there was a bulldozer there knocking down all of the trees. The kids were outraged. Fuller said, "who would be stupid enough to think that houses are a better idea than cows!" "Someone who wants to make some money" I told him. This afternoon we drove by just in time to see them knock the whole back part of the house down. Progress I guess. I'm with Fuller, the last thing this town needs is more houses, what we could really use are more fields of cows to look at!

The former home of two really cool cows.

7 comments:

sheila said...

I also will miss those cows and do we really need more houses when we have brand new developments that take forever to sell???

Shannon b said...

that is too bad. I always thought it was cool to have that field in the middle of "town". I'm with Sheila -- we do not need more houses right now.

Jodi said...

What a bummer! It's sad to see small farms getting pushed out by the growing numbers. I agree, we have far too many houses going up in this area. I'm sad for the boys that their bovine buddies are gone :(

Paige said...

I'm with you. Those cows provided us with many a discussion on walks. And I know we talked about this on the phone, but I HATE how they are knocking down all the trees and building more houses that won't sell. We moved out here for the trees and wide open spaces!! UGH.

Tiffini said...

Why do they always knock down all of the trees???? Don't they realize that is what makes the northwest so wonderful? They all need to come here for a visit so they appreciate all of the beautiful trees up there!!!!

Aundrea said...

Poor cows! Like everyone else said, there are too many houses right now!

Marie said...

I'm just hoping the planners come up with something to support the infrastructure (is that the right word??) Ya know - more houses for more people with kids to go to our already crowded schools in an area that won't pass a bond...