Sunday, November 11, 2007

Grandad

On Friday morning I received a phone call from my mom telling me that my Grandad had died during the night. Grandad Jack was 91. Grandad was a kind and gentle man. He was a loving and caring father and grandfather. Age and alzhiemers had not been kind to Grandad in his later years, so that's not how I'll remember him. In my mind I'll always remember him siting in his recliner with some furry little dog on his lap, sharing his hard candy with me, and winking mischievously as my grandma complained from the other room about how bad his hearing was getting. He had a wonderful warm smile.



1992 My mom, me, Grandad, and Grandma

8 comments:

Aundrea said...

So sorry to hear about your grandpa! Alzhiemers is an ugly, mean disease! I choose not to remember my grandma the way she is now either. I remember all the good stuff and how she really was. Hang in there! I'll be thinking about you:)

Aundrea said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Paige said...

It's so hard to say goodbye to these people, even when we know that their minds and bodies aren't what they used to be. (((HUGS)))

Tiffini said...

I am sorry for your loss. I liked the memories. Grandpa's always seem to give Grandma's a hard time!

Marie said...

Sorry to hear about your Grandpa, Michelle. It's hard when they get old and start losing who they really are...I like the picture you posted!

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for your loss, Michelle! It's so hard, but I just keep telling myself that they are moving on to the next phase of their existence, and they no longer have to suffer all that comes with old age. But it is still always sad. Thank you for sharing your sweet memories :) Big hugs for you!

Jodi said...

Michelle, I am so sorry to hear about your loss. Thanks for sharing your memories and that sweet picture.

Rochelle said...

I hope your doing well despite your loss. Hang onto the great memories!