Saturday, February 28, 2009

Budget Cuts

I'm starting to get nervous. It seems like everywhere you turn there is bad economic news. Even for someone like me who is on a self-imposed news hiatus, the state of the economy is unavoidable. Some cost cutting measures seem to really make sense, while others just leave me scratching my head in wonder. I've recently been faced with some "curious" examples of cost cutting.
1- Fuller's cafeteria- They no longer have the option of a bowl of soup if they don't choose the main entree(something Fuller did often), and juice has also been removed from the menu. (The removal of both of these items was explained as "budget cuts" to the students.)
2- While at the Dr this week to get some immunizations for 2 of the boys we discovered that our Dr's office no longer has smiley face band-aids for the kids, or stickers. I jokingly asked about it, and was informed that those items were done away with due to budget cuts.( That one really seemed strange since I know my bill will be as huge as ever.)
Will the elimination of soup, juice, stickers and band-aids really make a difference? If so then I will happily live without them, but I'm just not seeing that as the solution.

2 comments:

Elder Caleb Habel said...

I hope that all the little cuts add up and that we can pull through this! It is everywhere isn't it.

Anonymous said...

This really gets ya think' huh? They are cutting back everywhere it seems. These days were foretold, but it's weird to actually be *living* through it now. I'm a little weary of what is yet to come!