Thursday, February 19, 2009

The Family Vernacular

Like most families, we have certain words, sayings, and expressions that are commonly used in our house. Over the years we have borrowed them from people we know, movies we've seen, etc. Most of them we don't even remember where they came from. Here are a few common ones you might hear said, while hanging out around our home:
- "You'll have nothing, and like it." ( Used very often toward complaining children.)
- " Is it as good as if it were better?"
- "CEASE!"
- "Telegram for Sylvester!"
- "I command you to sleep."(Can anyone name that Woody Allen movie?)
- "You got owned!" (not really sure what that one means, but the kids like to say it to each other when one of them is wrong about something.)
- "How's the weather out there John L?"
And so many more. I'm curious, what are some of your families sayings?

5 comments:

Aundrea said...

I love that every family has it's own "language" :)

One of the sayings used around our house is "Do you understand the words coming out of my mouth?"
(from Rush Hour)
And, "Get outta here!" (from Mickey Blue Eyes)
And, "As far as you know..." (from Fletch)

Toshia said...

One we have picked up is "you get what you get and don't throw a fit!" and although not much of a family saying, Andrew and I can't help but say "that's what she said" like on the office (my mom does not approve!)

Shannon b said...

today I was just thinking about our family sayings and possibly recording them. But at the moment my mind is drawing a blank. I like your first line, I may have to adopt it!

Elder Caleb Habel said...

Love it!

Mark said...

Congratulations! You're the only result on google for "telegram for sylvester".