Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Just a spoonful of sugar.....

...helps the medicine go down. Boy did Mary Poppins know what she was talking about! OK, so today it wasn't just a spoonful of sugar, it was more like a maple bar, chocolate milk and a new puzzle. Rowan had his well child check up today, which included 4 shots (two in each leg) plus a finger poke to check for anemia. He was not a very happy camper! He was doing pretty good for most of the visit, and the doctor was wisely referring to "immunizations" instead of "shots", but then the medical student working with the doctor had to blow it and use the "shot" word. I guess that's a lesson he hasn't had yet. Rowan knew what was coming then, and started his mantra of "I want to go home!" By the time the nurse came in his lower lip was trembling and tears were welling up. I think this is really about my least favorite part of motherhood. I'd rather clean up barf than take my kids for shots, and that's saying a lot! The doctor said Rowan is completely healthy and has grown like crazy. He's at the 71st percentile for weight and the 87th percentile for height. I think he's probably going to be our tallest kid. At the same age Fuller and Grayson were both closer to the 50th percentile for height and weight. After his appointment was over we went to the store for a little reward for bravery, and I felt so bad for him that he talked me into three treats instead of just one. I just can't say no to his little tear stained face, especially when he keeps telling me how much his legs hurt.

6 comments:

Rochelle said...

I love how the kids can puppy dog eyes us! He is a big boy! Put a little notch in his bedroom door frame and see how fast he grows this year!

Shannon b said...

oh, so sad! It's a good thing he has a loving mom to make it all better. :)

Anonymous said...

What a tough way to start the day! He's a trooper, I think he deserved all those treats! And lets hope that the "Dr. in training" learned a lesson :) Hope your "big" little guy feels better soon!

Aundrea said...

Poor guy! I hope he's feeling better! Nalani likes to be bribed with sparkly shoes from Target after Dr. or dentist appointments...maybe you could try that next time;)

Toshia said...

sounds like you had a fun visit at the doctors! Those dumb med students, when will they learn?

Tiffini said...

Just think--this should be his last set for a while right? I hope they got all of the ones for school out of the way at the same time!