Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Life lessons

Sometimes life gives you lemons...and you aren't in the mood to make lemonade. This is Fuller's lesson for the week. This school year has been a little difficult for my boys. After years of wonderful teachers, great experiences and only having contact with the principal when they gave an award out at an assembly, we have definitely hit a glitch. This year I fear I am going to get a reputation in the district for complaining. Back in the Fall we had so many problems with Grayson having a bad first grade teacher, but at my insistence he was moved to a different class and has been pretty happy about school since early October. It seemed like we were on easy street. Then came November, and Fuller's teacher, who we really liked and thought very highly of, took a leave of absence to care for an ill family member. The plan was that she would return after Christmas vacation. Then that plan was changed, and her leave was extended to the end of January. In the interim they have had a long term substitute, and another sub to fill in when the long term one isn't there. It has been a difficult situation for the kids to adjust to the expectations and styles of three different teachers, and there have definitely been things that have fallen through the cracks. Unfortunately the long term sub is not the greatest, and I think many of the kids in that class have been pretty unhappy about her presence. So after years of no problems, I have now had to talk to both the principals and the substitute about some concerns I have. I'm a fairly non-confrontational person, so this year has totally taken me out of my comfort zone. Yesterday Fuller came home with a letter from the principal informing us that his regular teacher will not be returning at all this year, and the long term sub (that we don't like) will be their teacher for the remainder of the year. My heart just sunk for poor Fuller. He asked if he could be home schooled the rest of the year, but then admitted that he'd miss his friends too much. After my last conversation with the sub it seems that she is making some effort to improve the classroom situation, and the principal and counselor both spent time in their class yesterday. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that the next 4 1/2 months won't be too terrible. As for Fuller, today he's pouting, and has it set in his head that these are going to be the worst 4 1/2 months ever. I hope he's wrong.

10 comments:

Paige said...

Oh, poor Fuller. That just totally stinks. You'd think that with the teacher not returning they could get a certified teacher in there or something. At least someone who really knows what they are doing. I hope that the school can find a way to improve things for Fuller and his class. And way to go being confrontational. Sometimes we have to be to stick up for our kids. :)

Warmbeachjo said...

Now that the sub knows what her future is things will hopefully get better. It's hard to be in that situation and not know how long you're going to be in the room. Now the teacher knows that the class is hers for the rest of the year she might feel more committed to the kids.

Aundrea said...

I'm so sorry. I hope Fuller is wrong too. Maybe the school will pull it together...I'll keep my fingers crossed with you!

Rochelle said...

I’m proud of you for talking with the principle and the teacher. You are your child’s only advocate. It is your job to speak for them when they can't.
I hope it does get better. If anything turn this into a good learning experience for him. Life is full of disappointments and people we won't necessarily like, right?

Marie said...

I'm right there with you, Michelle. The first time I called - a substitue sec. told me her son was in that class too and had the same complaints about policy confusion...then Caylin was 'yelled' at in front of the class and told she wasn't allowed to wear flip flops anymore - I called and asked if there was a school policy like putting on snow tires... I called the principle last week to see if I could get Caylin switched to another class because it couldn't be any more disruptive than this whole mess they've been dealing with - I also told her that I thought the kids have been getting too much information on the personal life of their absent teacher and we've been having very interesting ethics conversations about the her choices....I've been calling and griping too - I'm still not satisfied but I'm not sure what there is to do about it. The principle told me she wasn't going to change any kids. They may have to deal with teachers they don't click with later on but they are still in elementary school...I should stop.

Candy said...

It is tough to deal with the teacher thing sometimes. I try to stay out of it but there are times when "mama bear" has to step in and defend the kids. You go girl;)

Shannon b said...

ugghh. That is just awful. The whole dealing with "bad" teachers & principals & being all confrontational scares me too -- so I hope I don't ever have to do it. But with 3 kids chances are . . . .
You're a good mom for sticking your nose into things and speaking up. I hope things do turn around for the better.

Jodi said...

As a teacher, I remember feeling frustrated with the number of quality subs. They were few and far between. I'm sorry about Fuller's situation. I agree with Rochelle about being your child's advocate...you are doing the right thing by voicing your concerns. Maybe the situation will improve now that the principal is aware. I will be keeping my fingers crossed for you, as well.

Anonymous said...

How unfair for Fuller! And all the other poor chldren who are stuck with a lousy teacher. I think it's great that you are standing up for him though, way to be!!! I know it's hard, I would not be comfortable with it either, but your kids are so worth all the effort. Hang in there, I hope it gets better SOON!

Nicole said...

What a hard situation. It can't be easy for him to see that 4 1/2 months really isn't that long because time goes so slow at that age. I hope you can figure something out to make the situation better for him.