Sunday, October 19, 2008

Fun, in the face of denial


No amount of begging, whining, crying, emotional breakdowns, or self induced pity parties could keep it from happening. You can't stop time. "It's only a number". Today I hit the "BIG 4-0", yup, I'm forty. GULP. Having pity for Paul would be very appropriate at this point. I haven't been too excited about this date. He valiantly forged ahead with secret birthday plans, and threw me a fabulous surprise party Saturday night. The best party I've ever had actually, complete with surprise out of state guests, nearest and dearest friends and family members, and way too many presents. Our evening started out with dinner for two, yummy sushi and shrimp tempura at Hama Sushi. (Oh how I miss the restaurants in the big city!) Then back to my parents house for the big surprise. I was so touched and so completely spoiled by all of the love and generous gifts. What wonderful people I'm blessed to know!

My super awesome sister in law Enid made all of these decorations with pictures and birthday wishes from fabulous women over 40.

I love these people!

My sister and niece made the trip down from the Seattle area, it was so great to have them here! This is the great family that I was born into:


Have I mentioned lately how much I love this guy? He planned an absolutely perfect evening. He even had them write "Happy 39th Birthday" on my cake, with a frosted winking eye. I think he knew I just really didn't want to see a 40. He also did a wonderful job secretly contacting friends and relatives, and buying gifts. I now own the complete Molly Ringwald trifecta of movies. Anyone in the mood for an 80's night?


The cake was so delicious! Rowan insisted on this huge piece of cake, which was way more than he could handle, but he gave it a good try.


Thanks so much everyone for such a wonderful birthday!

15 comments:

Tiffiny said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I'm not far behind, you'll have to give me pointers on how to grow "old" as gracefully as you have;>)

Elder Caleb Habel said...

What a very fabulous 40th Birthday party. Happy Birthday, Michelle.

Paige said...

Happy Birthday!!! I'm sorry I missed it. I knew it was coming up (Paul was asking for info on cutting boards and rulers and such) but I didn't know when!! Instead of calling it 40, you should just celebrate the 19th anniversary of turning 21!!

Marie said...

Happy Birthday - I'm right behind you! I've heard that 40 is the new 30 - we're OK with that, right??

Toshia said...

Happy birthday! When people ask how old you are you can say fabulously forty...or say 35, you can so pull it off still! Luv ya:)

Aundrea said...

I'm glad you had such a fun party! Happy Birthday!

ps. I'm soooo in for Molly Ringwald Movie Marathon:) Only the good ones from the 80's though!

Gina said...

Happy Birthday! It sounds like it was a great birthday party.

Shannon b said...

Happy Birthday Michelle! What a great party. It looks like Paul put a lot of planning and effort into it. Surprises are so fun!

Candy said...

Happy birthday! you have the best years ahead - I should know:)

Jodi said...

Happy Happy Birthday!! What a fabulous way to turn 40! Such a sweet husband to put so much effort into your party. Glad you had a wonderful day...you deserve it :)

Nicole said...

How very thoughtful! Big points for Paul. Happy Birthday.

Rochelle said...

Happy Birthday!

suzanne said...

Happy Birthday! I also had a difficult time turning 40, but now that I'm well on my way to 50, 40 doesn't seem so bad... :)

Anonymous said...

Happy "39th" birthday to you my friend! What a fun surprise :) Way to go Paul!

Adrienne said...

Happy birthday (belated)! THanks for joining the swap. Looking forward to getting it all organized.

So ... when's the 80's movie night? Make sure I get a invite ;-)