Thursday, October 2, 2008

Rowan's favorite


A few years ago I was shopping in our little local book store, and noticed this cute looking book. I opened it up and read a few pages, thought it was a sweet and funny story, and bought it. Little did I know what a huge part of my life this book would become. I would estimate that I have now read this book about five hundred times. I've read it so often that sometimes the lines from it run through my head when I'm driving, cooking, or trying to sleep. Rowan is completely addicted to this book. He usually falls asleep with it clutched in his hot little hands or wedged under his pillow. If you haven't ever had the privilege of reading it, it really is a delightful story (the first hundred times or so anyway.) It's the story of a mother with seven children who are all picky eaters. They each only have one food they will eat, and of course none of them like the same foods. Some of the rhymes in this book are just genius. My favorite part of the book comes towards the end, when the mother is about at her wits end. She looks like this:

I feel like I can feel her pain. My kids aren't fussy eaters, but they've done plenty of other things to make me feel just like that.
So, if you're looking for a new kids book, Rowan would give this one five stars. I would say read it, then hide it!

8 comments:

Jill said...

We will have to look that one up. I myself have 2 very picky eaters and that's plenty!

Warmbeachjo said...

That was one of Noah's favorites too. I think we read it every night for 2 months.

Gina said...

That looks like a fun book. We'll have to look it up.

Jodi said...

I haven't read that one but will have to find it at the library and give it a go. I like your recomendation to 'read it...then hide it ;)

Shannon b said...

cute book! This would be great for my mother-in-law -- she had 4 fussy eaters.

Anonymous said...

I wanna get this one, I bet my boys (and I!) would enjoy it. Thanks for sharing :)

Marie said...

What great illustrations! I might just have to get it for my picky eater - think it's too juvenile for an 11 yr. old?!

Elder Caleb Habel said...

What great illustrations!