Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Life with a pre-teen

I've gradually been adjusting to the fact that my kids are getting older, don't need me as much, and are striving for independence. This is especially true with Fuller. It no longer stings that I get little more than a grunt when I tell him good bye in the morning. I know that kisses, hugs and heartfelt sentiments are out of the question. He just quickly jumps out of the van and walks away without looking back. Yesterday he really let me know how uncool he thinks I am. As we pulled up to his school he said, "Mom, can you turn the music down." "Why?" I asked. " I don't want my friends to hear what you're listening to." Ouch. In my defense I had on some classic 1980's Eurythmics. I'm not THAT uncool am I?

6 comments:

Paige said...

Pshaw. If only those kids knew how AWESOME that music was...

Anonymous said...

Oooh, I know my day is coming soon, too. I cherish that Bailey still wants a hug and kiss at drop off each morning, because I know it won't last much longer {sigh}
And just for the record, you are SUPER cool, so no worries there :)

Lynn Boyle said...

welcome to my world. I am not cool what so ever.. i wanted to be the cool mom so bad.. hey 80's music. i even have a 80's mix on my ipod for spin class. tell Fuller i'll burn him a CD. hee hee hee.. glad we can keep in touch this way... take care

Adrienne said...

Just wait until he hits college ... the 80's will be all the rage ;-)

Tiffiny said...

No way, that music is the best. Music now days is just noise! To quote my mom who said this about my music and now I am saying it about today's music. You have a good attitude about Fuller I think. At least you know not to get offended. I still get a bit miffed at Drew when I tell her something and she says "I KNOOOOW! Teacher Sally already told me!" So I guess I'm not the coolest person in her world anymore!

Nicole said...

I am savoring the public display of affection I get with Austin, because I know the day will soon come, when it won't be cool anymore. How sad!