Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Motherhood confessional

For some time now Fuller has been complaining that his shoes are too tight and hurting his feet. I've kind of been blowing him off, since I did just buy him new shoes in September and I've been planning on buying him new ones when basketball season starts in January. Today we were going to town to run some other errands, so I decided we'd go get his shoes today too. The shoes I bought him in September were a men's 5. The shoes I bought him today were a men's 8. What a neglectful mother I've been, letting my poor child's feet suffer. It never occurred to me that his feet were growing at the rate of a size a month. Holy Cow! At this rate he'll need new shoes again before Valentine's Day. Needless to say he's been doing lots of "I told you so's" today.

And in other "poor excuse for a mother" news, Buster has sprained his tail. I guess I shouldn't have been letting him romp around like crazy out in the yard. Last night Paul noticed that his tail, which is usually wagging so wildly that it could knock you over, was hanging straight down and totally still. After a little internet research I was convinced that he had either broken it or dislocated it. I took him to the vet this morning and she is pretty sure it's just sprained, but if it isn't better in a few day we'll have to go back in for an x-ray. She said sprained tails are actually fairly common in "large, spastic dogs"(isn't that just the best description of Buster ever?) So, now I have to get him to take it easy for a few days and get him to take some anti-inflamatory pills twice a day. Fun stuff I tell ya!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, you have one turbo growing boy on your hands there! I bet he is enjoying his new shoes for sure :)
And sorry to hear about Buster, I have never heard of a sprained tail before. Hopefully he will be back to waggin-a-way in no time.

suzanne said...

I always thought that "growing pains" was more of a euphemism for teen angst rather than a physical one until Murray told me he grew 8 inches in one year--ouch!

Aundrea said...

If you want to see a "large, spastic dog" you should go see the movie, "Marley and Me" :) Makes me so, so happy we don't have a dog, and sad that we don't have a dog all in the same breath...

Adrienne said...

What excitement you have had in your house ... I can't imagine that my boys will grow that fast!

Poor pooch ... tail wagin' days will have to wait a bit!

Tiffiny said...

I did the same thing with Drew's feet! On a whim I had the girl measure them at Payless and she was in shoes 2 sizes too small. I guess it happens to the best of us!