Thursday, December 11, 2008

My kind of place

I've never made a secret of the fact that I don't always like where I live. In my heart I really am a big city girl, and the lack of decent local shopping and dining weigh heavily in my list of complaints. In the last few weeks though, this place has started to grow on me. I've been downright touched by the generosity of this community. Last weekend I spent a VERY cold Saturday morning out with my cub scout group collecting canned food. In just a few hours we were able to collect 648 pounds of food for the local food bank. For an area so recently hit with major job losses, people were so willing to give. One lady even left out cookies for the scouts, to thank them for their hard work. Then there was the letter that Grayson's teacher sent home. At the start of the year Grayson's teacher asked each student for $6 for party money, to cover all of their parties this year. Very few students brought in money, and some parents contacted her saying that times were just too hard for them this year. She had mentioned this to a friend of hers, and her friend's business decided that they would like to sponsor all of the parties for that class this year, but only if they could do so anonymously. Then we have Grayson's basketball coach, who saw a great deal on trophies, so she went ahead and picked them up for the team. She refuses to let us pay her for them, saying she's just so proud of how well the boys are doing, that she wants to be able to reward each of them. And finally, yesterday my sweet neighbor(thanks Paige), who seeing a firetruck by my house called to make sure everything was all right(it was for the house across the street). Yep, this place is really starting to grow on me.

5 comments:

Paige said...

Now if we could only get a Home Depot, Winco, and a few good NON Mexican restaurants. :) How are you feeling today??

Lynn Boyle said...

I'm with you. I really try to focus on the positive here. I didn't know you were a city girl. So am I. born and raised in MPLS, always had the best of two worlds though being we spent allot of time at my grandparents in the country. Plus being here we save money on shopping...tee hee.although i have driven to Portland/Hillsboro more in the last two weeks than i have all year.

Jill said...

Yes, as much as I love being 2 minutes from any store or restaurant I'd ever want to go to, I miss that little town. Stuff like that just warms my heart. I have to admit, I love being able to run to the store and know I'm not going to see 10 people I know. I do miss not being able to make it down an aisle, without hearing, "There's teacher Jill." I'm glad I can check up on these little ones on your guys' blogs. I sure miss them!

Tiffini said...

That community is one in a million. We really miss it. Although I have to admit that being within 15 minutes of just about any store I can think of is nice--I would trade it in half a heartbeat to be back "home".

Tiffiny said...

When Paul got an internship in this town 3.5 years ago I was distraught! I KNEW this was not where we were supposed to be! I couldn't imagine setting up shop in this stinky town! But it has since grown on me too. I'm glad you are warming up to it! That's great about the Scouts. Good job fearless leader!