Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Anxiety, and others contributors to a sleepless night

Fuller left for Outdoor School this morning. It was really difficult for me to let him go. I smiled and talked about how much fun he was going to have, but secretly wished I could just lock him in his room for the week. This will be the longest period that I have ever been out of contact with one of my kids. He's been away from home for longer, but I could still talk to him on the phone. He said he wasn't nervous at all, just excited. However I did get a lot more hugs from him in the last 24 hours than I usually do. I hope he has a wonderful time. I hope we packed everything he'll need. It's raining today, so I think the new rain poncho was a good purchase.

During the night when I wasn't worrying about Fuller leaving, I was thinking about Grayson. He was troubled yesterday. When I picked him up from school yesterday he shared that the father of one of the kids in his class had been killed last week, and that they made cards for him. I think having one of his peers lose a parent was difficult for him to process. I did some poking around online to see if I could find some information about what happened that might help him, but sadly it was a story that doesn't make any sense. It was apparently a drunken dispute between neighbors(who had actually golfed together earlier in the day) that ended in the father of Grayson's classmate being shot and killed. The man accused of doing the shooting is the father of a boy in Fuller's class. He used to come to cub scouts. So sad for both families.

Still looking for that deserted island to move the family to.

9 comments:

Gina said...

It just made me sick when I came across that story yesterday. When you know the person and the family it just hits really hard.

On another note, Tyler just loved outdoor school last year. I had the same feelings you do and it was anxious week for me until he came home. It was a good experience for him, though. Just one more step towards growing up.

Paige said...

I saw that story and wondered if anyone would know the men involved. It turns out that many children witnessed it all go down, too. How terrible.

I'm sure that Fuller will have a GREAT time. Think of it as babysteps toward his mission. ;) Do you need any chocolate?

Aundrea said...

That was so sad to hear about over the weekend.

Let us know if there is room for us on that deserted island!

Shannon b said...

That news story was awful - and to have your kids somewhat connected to it.
I'm sure outdoor school will be great, although I have to admit I'd be nervous too! :)

Elder Caleb Habel said...

What a sad, sad story. How strange that it effects two of your boys.
I too have only good to say about outdoor school, but it is weird to not be able to tell them goodnight.

Tiffiny said...

I saw the busses full of kids nad stuff yesterday on the highway and immediately thought of you! Hangf in there, Fuller is a great kid and he will do fine. Now make sure mom is fine too!

Adrienne said...

ugh. Oh how I wish I could shelter my kids from all the bad in the world.

I can't imagine sending my kiddo off ... to college even!

sheila said...

Hayden loved outdoor school last year... hard for me though!

Is that Island still deserted if my family joins you?

The man that shot the other man is very connected to our ward, so I'm wondering about the trickle down of that...

sheila said...

The rain poncho is VERY useful i practically never took it off last year.
Hayden