Wednesday, June 13, 2007

An exercise in futility

This weekend the boys bought me a present while they were out at garage sales, a 1000 piece puzzle. This was really very sweet, since I do love puzzles and haven't done one in years. The puzzle has a vintage nursery rhyme theme, and is very cute. They were quick to point out that it's only missing one piece (or at least that's what the lady at the garage sale told them) and they said they were all going to help. Well, frustration set in pretty quick. They have never even attempted anything over 100 pieces before, so clearly this is going to end up being a mom only project. I have been staying up late at night working on this darn puzzle, only to discover that Buster has been undermining my efforts. I walked into the dining room yesterday and caught him with his head cocked to the side trying to lick puzzle pieces off the edge of the table. I guess he must think they're just really big crumbs that I forgot to clean up. I don't know how many he got, but knowing him, I think my puzzle is going to have lots of holes!

One other story to share. One of Rowan's favorite books right now is "There was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Shell". It's a variation on the story of the old lady who swallowed a fly. I read this story to him yesterday, and then got up to go into the kitchen. As I was walking away he said "mom are you an old lady?" Before I could answer Grayson chimed in and said "no Rowan, she won't be an old lady for like 5 more years!" Glad to know I have a few good years left in me.

No comments: