Friday, August 29, 2008

Flashback Friday- Toys


I wish I could find a picture of my dad and his brothers, sometime in the 1940's, playing with this erector set. I don't think one probably exists, so I'll have to settle for these pictures of my boys and my dad playing with it, that I took yesterday.

How amazing that this 60 some year old box of fun has survived, and even the motor still works.

I loved watching my dad show the boys how everything works, and telling them about how he and his brothers would spend hours and hours building with it, especially in the Winter when they were snowed in.

I'm so glad that my grandparents held onto it all of those years, so that my children could get a little glimpse into what their grandpa's childhood was like.



It kind of makes me think I might need to hold onto a big box of Star Wars legos once my kids are grown. I might want to play with them with my grandchildren someday.

4 comments:

Shannon b said...

DO save it! Scott's mom had saved boxes of legos, Star Wars toys, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (all of their favorites growing up) and now my boys love to play with that stuff when we go there.

Aundrea said...

I love seeing how well taken care of that toy set is! How cool that your boys played with their grandpa and one of his toys!

I remember playing with barbies from when my aunt's were little and army guys and a train set from when my dad was little. They took such good care of their toys back then...maybe because they didn't get every little thing their heart's desired??

With how my kids treat their toys, who knows if there will be any functional ones around by the time my grandkids start popping up?

Anonymous said...

I agree, definitely save all their favorites! I have already started a hope chest collection for my boys, and I hope that I continue to be able to add to it over the years. But like Aundrea said, some stuff just gets destroyed. I think old toys are SO classic.

Jodi said...

It sounds like your Dad might be in the running for the coolest Grandpa ever! Your boys are super lucky :)