Sunday, December 23, 2007

Christmas in the city

One of the things I miss about living in Portland is the way it feels this time of year. There is just such a buzz of excitement in the air, and so many neat holiday sights to take in. For the past few years we have made it a tradition to take the kids downtown sometime during the week before Christmas. We started out by taking the kids out to lunch at one of our favorite "dive" hamburger places Bonnie Burger in NW Portland. Then it was off to Finnegan's for a little toy shopping and playing. I think this about the best toy store on earth, so many things out for kids to look at and play with. The kids had already gotten some Christmas money in the mail, so everyone left with an exciting purchase. A stomp rocket for Fuller, a huge dinosaur floor puzzle for Rowan and an old fashioned pop gun and crazy slinky glasses for Grayson. Leaving Finnegan's with all their loot!

Then we headed down to Pioneer Square to see the big Christmas tree.


































Another part of our tradition is going to the Starbucks right there at Pioneer Square to get everyone a hot chocolate, but this year we lucked out and Starbucks employees were out in the square passing out free peppermint hot chocolates. YUMMY!














We made a final stop at Macy's to check out their Christmas village, and since there was no line we said hi to Santa again. Paul was able to get a quick snapshot of the kids with Santa this time.

5 comments:

Nicole said...

What a fun time! I have always wanted to go to Pioneer Square during the holiday season, but never make it. I love peppermint hot chocolate. Your hubby is a good sport. Mine is too.

Aundrea said...

I love going into the city during the holidays! And you can't get any better than *free* hot chocolate!

Candy said...

I love downtown also during the holidays and what a fun tradition - I always only took older kids - I bet the younger ones would love it!

Creole Wisdom said...

How fun! I went to HS in PDX, just a few blocks from where you were @ St. Mary's Academy (lol, makes me giggle just to say it). What a fun time. I love that huge tree in Pioneer Sq. and your Macy's did have a village, too. How fun : )

Rochelle said...

I love reading about all of your family traditions! And it helps to know that tantrums happen during Christmas at other homes too. I was close to postponing it, man I would win worst mother of the year for that one..