Thursday, July 10, 2008

Swimming Lessons



I have always been determined that my kids learn to be good swimmers. We started with Fuller when he was a preschooler, and have made swimming lessons a part of every summer since. The kids have always loved and looked forward to this( well except for Rowan who screamed so long and so loud last year that we finally pulled him out on the third day.). Until this year. This year I was met with attitude and complaint when I mentioned swimming lessons. Fuller claimed to be "too old" for swimming lessons, and didn't want to be embarrassed by being the oldest kid there. All of his complaining rubbed off on Grayson, and he too started complaining that swimming lessons were "stupid" and he "wasn't going". Meanwhile Rowan, who was the only one who should have been having any negative feelings, stoically claimed that he'd "be brave" this year. As you can imagine, I wasn't really looking forward to the first day of lessons. Paul and I had a serious talk with them the night before, and threatened that they could no longer swim in our pool if they didn't take swimming lessons. So, the first day arrived, and everyone willing went, got in the pool and did what they were told...and talked all the way home about HOW FUN IT WAS! I could have just strangled them for driving me so crazy about this when I knew they'd enjoy it in the end. Now they're even talking about wanting me to sign them up for another session. What a bunch of stinkers!


Rowan has been being very brave, and is getting really good at floating and putting his face in the water.


Grayson is still struggling with side breathing. He tends to go as long as he can without breathing and then lift his head straight up for a big gulp of air.

Fuller is getting really good instruction on his strokes- his butterfly is really starting to look good! And he isn't the oldest kid there. There's actually a kid in Grayson's class who is older than Fuller.

Grayson and Rowan's favorite part is getting to jump in at the end.


3 comments:

Shannon b said...

Well, I'm glad to hear that swimming lessons were a hit! I'm with you -- my kids MUST know how to swim!

Candy said...

We had a wonderful season of swim lessons and I think we'll do one more session this summer - I love how the kids learn and love the water - it is fun to watch as they build up their confidence to try new things!

Amy said...

found you while blog hopping .... love your little redheads! I have a red-headed girl and she is a fireball!