Sunday, July 20, 2008

Weekend Travels

There's just something peaceful about standing on a dusty country road, listening to the sound of the the wind rustling through the wheat.

This weekend we took a quick 800 mile trip out to eastern Washington, and back. We went to Wilbur to visit my Grandma, and then meet up with Paul's brother's family. We brought their kids back with us for a week of cousin fun. While we were in Wilbur we took the kids on a little family history tour. I want them to see where their ancestors came from. This is the farm where my Dad grew up. It's pretty much about to all cave in from neglect, but it's neat to see the land, and I've seen enough old pictures that I can picture what it was like when they lived there.

Our next stop was the Wilbur cemetery. We showed them the resting places of their Great-great grandparents and many other relations. I remember going to this cemetery on many Memorial days to put flowers from my grandma's yard on the graves, but it still took me a lot of wandering to find our family.

We got to visit a little with Grandma on Friday night, and then a bit longer visit on Saturday morning. I love for the boys to get to visit with her and tell her about what they've been up to, but I must say I enjoy visiting with her more when Paul takes them to the park. It's amazing to think that she's going to be 99 in September.

Then we met up with Uncle Jason, Aunt Barbara and the kids. We ate lunch and played at the park. It was nice to see everyone, and for the kids to get a little energy out before we started the 8 hour trek home.

Rowan later fell out of this tree while climbing out of it and got really scraped up. Not a good way to start out the drive home.



With extra potty and food breaks, it seemed like it took us a really long time to get home. The kids were all pretty good, thanks in large part to the excitement of having the cousins with us. But when we got home poor Grayson's exhaustion caught up to him. When we were trying to get him to bed he collapsed in a sobbing heap and kept repeating that he's "never gone to bed this late". We finally just had to bring him in our room and let him cry himself to sleep.
This morning everyone woke up in good spirits and ready for fun.

And now that we're home, things pretty much look like this....

everyone's still in their pajamas, playing Dance, Dance revolution.

It's going to be a great week!

4 comments:

Candy said...

What fun memories they will have this week - cousin time is the best time!

LeLloyd said...

Glad to see you had so much fun visiting family and seeing my old haunts.

Aundrea said...

I bet you are everyone's favorite Auntie!!

PS. One of my favorite sounds is the wind blowing through a field of ripe wheat!

Anonymous said...

I love taking pictures in the wheat. I have always wanted to do a photo shoot that I haven't gotten around to yet!!! I love it, and think it's beautiful for pictures. Sounds like you had a fun trip :)