Wednesday, September 10, 2008

11:35- The worst time of the day

Rowan is having a tough adjustment to kindergarten, and I'm a little at a loss for what to do. Rowan is generally my most social child, and he never once cried or wanted me to stay with him at preschool. His first day of kindergarten went great, he was giddy with excitement all morning, and when I picked him up he talked my ear off about all the fun things they did- that was Friday. Over the weekend he seemed very clingy and needy. He wouldn't go to sleep without the overhead light on, and came and got in bed with Paul and I both nights. Monday morning he was very leery about going to school and had a sobbing meltdown when we got there, begging and pleading with me to take him home. I know his teacher pretty well since Grayson had her and I know that she is about the kindest, most patient teacher you could ever ask for. So I know that's not the problem. I finally calmed him down enough that he was able to walk to his room with the rest of the class, but when I picked him up he was crying, and had apparently been crying intermittently throughout the day. He's crying at weird times too, like recess. When I asked him what's wrong he said, "sometimes I just need a parent." Once we got home though, he told me all about the fun things he was doing at school. Tuesday morning brought more anxiety, and some tears at drop off time, but better than Monday. I sent him armed with a family picture in each pocket and that seemed to make him feel a little better. I told him to just try and think about all of the fun they are having and the time will go faster. He said he doesn't want be sad, but his brain just tells him to. His teacher said he cried less on Tuesday, so I was hopeful that he was getting used to this whole kindergarten thing. However, today was the worst drop off of all. He started brushing tears away as I pulled into the school parking lot, and by the time we got to his class's line he was sobbing and begging me to pick him up and hold him. He said both his legs and his tummy hurt. He kept saying "I just want to be with you Mommy!" His teacher kindly held his hand and said he could come lead the line and be her helper today. I had to quickly turn and walk away, I didn't want him breaking free and following me, and I didn't trust myself not to just scoop him up and take him home. His teacher called me about an hour later to let me know he was doing fine (she really is THE BEST!) She had made a deal with him that if he could stop crying she would walk him by Grayson's classroom on the way to recess and let him wave to his big brother. Apparently he had a good day after that. He said he loves PE and music, and had fun doing some art. Then tonight his separation issues were back in full force. When we got to soccer practice he sat on my lap and refused to get off or even look at his coach. Anytime I would mention that he should go out and practice with his team he would start crying. I'm just hoping this adjustment process doesn't drag on too long, I just don't have it in me. Crying in the school parking lot every day after I drop him off is getting exhausting.

3 comments:

Jill said...

Poor little guy. That's no fun for either one of you! Hope he feels more comfortable soon! Tell him I said "hi".

Aundrea said...

Oh, I sooo feel your pain! We are dealing with the same stuff with Maika. I've resolved the teacher issues, because there are none, but she says she misses me. I tell her that I'm not really that cool and that she should just have a fun day at school. I let her wear one of my bracelets, but I LOVE your family picture idea:)

What a nice teacher to let him walk by his brother's class and wave. I hope the issues end soon and that you'll soon have a happy little kindergartener running around:)

Tiffini said...

Wow--Rowan always has seemed like such a confident kid. I am sorry you are both going through this! I hope it gets better soon.