Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Civics lesson

This morning Rowan and I went down to City Hall so I could turn in Paul's and my ballots. I put off voting until the last minute of course. As we were driving there I was thinking about the importance of voting, and thinking of how to explain it to Rowan in a way he would understand. Then I drove by our little town square, and instantly forgot about voting. We started talking about the movie "Halloweentown", (which the boys and I just watched together recently for the first time) and was filmed in our little downtown. I was thinking how movie like and quaint the little area around the courthouse is. Rowan was excitedly telling me where different things were in the movie. As we walked into city hall I tried to refocus and explain a little bit about voting to Rowan, but he was just interested in the candy bowl that the lady at the front desk had. As we left she asked him if he would like a piece, and he walked out of the building happy and content, with an orange tootsie pop in his mouth. Driving home Rowan proclaimed "I like voting!" I guess maybe that's a good enough lesson for a five year old.

2 comments:

Jodi said...

I'm glad Rowan has his priorities straight! Candy trumps anything in MY book ;)

Tiffiny said...

Maybe Rowan will associate good things with voting now and he will be a civic minded man - one can only hope!