Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Best Wishes President Obama


Yesterday morning I sat glued to my TV watching President Obama be sworn in. I can't recall that I have ever before watched an inauguration, but I felt very compelled to watch this one. I had a great feeling of watching history unfold. It was amazing to see the vast numbers of people that were in attendance, and to hear President Obama speak with such hope and determination at a time when things in our country are not looking so good. I sincerely hope and pray that he will have the wisdom and foresight to lead us in the right direction. I had recorded all of the inauguration coverage so that we could watch it as a family, and share in that historic moment. Unfortunately Fuller and Grayson said they had watched it all at school, and it was boring. I guess they're still just too young to understand the significance of yesterday's events.

Watching all of the coverage of Washington DC made me think of my own "visit" to the White House(just as a tourist of course). The year was 1980, and Carter was still in office. I remember hoping to see Amy Carter. She and I are kind of close in age, (and in fact have the same birthday) and in the back of my head I think I thought that we would be great friends if we ever met. Carter is the first President that I really remember, and it's odd to think that Obama is probably the first President that my kids will remember. I'm glad that he has young kids, it gives me extra comfort that he feels the same way I do about wanting to leave my children with a stronger, more stable country.


Heather, Jim and I at the White House- 1980.


Also, did anyone else catch Tom Brokaw referring to Vice-President Cheney as Dr Strangelove? I can't remember when I've laughed so hard.

2 comments:

Tiffiny said...

That is the first inauguration I can remember watching too. I was glued to it and recorded it too! There was just something about it that commanded my attention. It was maybe extra special, having been to D.C., to recognize the places I had seen and walked that were now part of the historic event. We can say we've been there!

suzanne said...

SO sorry I missed Brokaw's comment!