Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Adventures

This year our family is having 2 very different adventures for spring break. Paul and Fuller are on a father/son trip to Vancouver BC, while the little kids and I are staying home. When Paul was growing up his dad took he and his brothers on individual spring break trips once they were old enough to really appreciate the experience, and be fun to travel with. Paul has always planned on continuing this tradition with our kids once he felt they were ready. We decided that this is Fuller's year, and he has been beyond excited to get to go on a trip with just Paul. They have been planning and researching things to see for weeks. They left yesterday morning and stopped and did a little sightseeing in Seattle and then went and spent the night with my sister's family, who live about an hour north of Seattle. This morning they called to let me know that they had made it across the border, under the scrutiny of a very serious border guard, and were seeing bald eagles and snow. Hopefully the weather won't be too cold and miserable while they're there, many of the things they want to do are outdoors.

Meanwhile the little boys and I are making the most of our time at home. They decided right away that they want to sleep somewhere different every night. Last night they camped out on air mattresses and sleeping bags in my room. Tonight they want to set up Grayson's play tent and camp in the living room, and tomorrow we're going to go see "Horton hears a who" and then they want to spend the night at Grandma and Grandpa's house. They haven't made a definite decision about where they want to sleep Friday night, probably either the garage or Fuller's room. We've been doing art projects, eating pizza, watching movies and pretty much turning the house into a disaster. Grayson has also been busy asking me questions about California, he's thinking he might want to go there when it's his turn for a father/son trip. He doesn't even really seem to mind that that trip is still 3-4 years away.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great idea!!! Todd has all sorts of plans for our boys as they get older, and I love the fact that they have a Dad who wants to explore the world with them ... and hopefully I will get invited along on a few trips myself :) But until we know we are finsihed having children (number three may be in the works soon, if I get brave enough!) then I will probably be missing out on a few more years of any major traveling. I hope they continue to have a great trip, and that you enjoy your time with the little ones, tearing up the house :)

Aundrea said...

That sounds like a wonderful idea! I'm sure all the boys will look forward to their turns:)

Shannon b said...

that is so cool! My mom once took me on a trip (just her and I) when I was 11 and it made me feel so grown-up. I hope that everyone has a wonderful time!

Toshia said...

That sounds like a lot of fun! I have never gone on vacation with just my dad and I, but I have had some fun adventures with my mom. What a lucky kid!

,,,, said...

That is such a cute idea! Three trips in one week will be exhausting in the future though.