Thursday, March 6, 2008

Birthday cereal

A few years ago we started a new tradition at our house. My sugar cereal deprived children convinced me that as a special birthday treat they should be allowed to pick out whatever kind of cereal they want, to have for breakfast on their big day. I'm usually kind of a stickler about having a healthy breakfast, but I also think birthdays should be as fun as possible. So, I decided 3 boxes of disgusting sweetness a year wouldn't kill us. This has become something that they really look forward to. Rowan and Grayson especially think about their selection all year long, and love checking out the possibilities every time we go to the store. The unexpected bonus has been that they don't ask for or whine about getting sugar cereal the whole rest of the year. They seem comforted to know that they can have WHATEVER they want on their special day, and that's enough for them. Tomorrow is Fuller's birthday, so today after school he gets to make his selection. Grayson and Rowan can't wait to see what he picks!

This is Grayson and his much longed after cookie crisp on his last birthday.

4 comments:

sheila said...

My children prefer cherrios or Special K with Red Berries, but it's my husband whom I have to convince that we don't need the sugary cereal. When we grocery shop together, which we always do, we inevitably end up arguing in the cereal aisle. Why have them start liking sugar for breakfast when they are perfectly content (even prefer) healthier cereal?

Nicole said...

That's a great tradition that your boys will always remember! How fun!

Anonymous said...

YOU are a genious!!! What a perfect way to make the sugary cereals more special and appreciated :) We may have to try something like that. I'm pretty picky about the kind of cereal my boys are allowed to eat, too. They think I'm so mean.

Jodi said...

What a great tradition! We were never allowed to eat sugary cereal as a kid...something I have carried on in my own family but I really LOVE this idea. A wonderful birthday treat!