Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Reflections of a cub scout mom

One of the things on my to do list this week is to finally sew all of Fuller's cub scout badges on his shirt. He isn't a cub scout any more, so I really need to get this done before I lose track of them. Then I can pack his shirt away in his keepsake box, next to his favorite baby blanket and the outfit he wore home from the hospital. In looking at Fuller's scout shirt and all of his badges, pins and belt loops, I realize how much he has learned these last three years. I realize that I have learned a lot also, (though I don't have the badges to show for it.) So before I forget everything I've learned, I'd better record some of that knowledge. Grayson is after all joining scouts in 5 months.

A few things I've learned from being the mother of a cub scout- in no particular order.

1. Read through the book ahead of time, so you can work scouting requirements into activities you are doing anyway. This would have been a big help to me Fuller's first year of scouting when we didn't get around to looking at the gardening section until February. It's a little hard to complete some of those things when it's freezing outside and nothing will grow.
2. Good scout leaders are worth their weight in gold! Remind your scout to thank them for the things they do, because these boys won't do that on their own.
3. Scouts don't care if you bring a 97 cent package of cookies, or spend half the day slaving in the kitchen. Either way the cookies will disappear in a matter of seconds.
4. Don't volunteer yourself to bring 70 individual cups of blue jello with gummi fish in them to the blue and gold banquet without first considering how much space you have in your fridge. {Yes, I learned that one the hard way!}
5. If your scout is earning a badge which also has a pin for the mother, make sure you wear something to pack meeting that they can easily pin it onto. That will help you avoid being poked, and prevent your scout from having to stick his hand in your shirt.
6. When driving a group of scouts to day camp, turn the radio off and be quiet. You might be surprised what you hear. Along with the typical silly and/or gross conversations, I was also witness to a very interesting and touching conversation on prayer one day.
7. Try to act enthusiastic when your scout brings home a piece of paper with mouse bones glued to it, that they gleaned from an owl pellet, and now want to proudly display on your refrigerator.
8. Step back and let them do their own projects. The only thing worse than having the worst looking project,is having the one that your mother obviously did most of the work on.
9. Pine wood derby cars are "Man's work!" (At least at my house.) The only acceptable motherly help is driving the scout to the store to pick out the paint.
10. When your scout makes a really cool clay volcano that erupts by putting alka seltzer tablets down it, make sure to emphasize that this is an OUTDOOR activity.
11. Just have fun, and remember what a good experience this will all be for them.
12. Always bring your camera! Some truly priceless moments happen at scouts!

6 comments:

Paige said...

Michelle, I LOVE this list. I need to print a copy and save it for Jaren in six years. You *almost* make me excited about having a cubscout!!

Shannon b said...

what a wonderful list! It sounds like scouts has been fun & a learning experience. It's funny that even though I grew up with 4 brothers, I've really only learned about the scouting program in the last few years. I'm excited for Conner to turn 8 and be a part of it. And I'll be sure to bring my camera!

Anonymous said...

What perfect advice!!! I love how you put this together, so funny!!!

Tiffini said...

Words to live by. Thanks for sharing it with us soon to be cub scout moms. Especially the read ahead thing. Not sure I will get myself to do it but now I will try.

sheila said...

So, being that I only have girls (and only ever will) I have to admit that I only scanned the list. But of course you have badges to prove all that you have learned, you just don't get to sew them on a shirt. An example of what I am talking about would be something like this: I have learned how important child car seats are after Olivia was in a fairly serious accident and was completely uninjured. My badge-- the ambulance and emergency room bills and all of the insurance work that went along with it.
As a mom there is always a ton of work that you do that you don't get a "badge" for. I can't even begin to tell you the countless hours I spent working with the insurance company for Olivias accident.. all for the lesson of the importance of car seats. Just a different kind of badge we Mothers wear.

Elder Caleb Habel said...

Thank you for the pointers and tips. You have definately had some funny learning experiences. I am with Paige in some strange way it makes me look forward to having cubscouts.