Sunday, March 30, 2008

O Canada!

Paul and Fuller made it home safe and sound from their father/son spring break trip. They had such a wonderful time together that they were both obviously sad that it had to come to an end. The only thing that they didn't really enjoy about their trip was the weather. It was pretty cold, wet and sometimes snowy during their trip. I think they had some good bonding time, and definitely some good laughs. I'm sure they'll both really treasure those memories for years to come. They left Tuesday morning after Fuller's dentist appointment. Their first sightseeing stop was Pike Place Market in Seattle. They ate some yummy fresh dough nuts and had fun looking at all the neat seafood and other market offerings.



Then they drove a little further North to have a quick visit with the cousins. They got to go out for dinner and spend the night with my sister and her family. I had asked Paul to be sure to take a picture of the kids. I always think of Fuller as being fairly good sized, until I see him next to Noah. Noah is exactly 10 months older than Fuller, but he looks much older. He's really caught up to his sister Alyssa who is 16.


Their first stop in Canada was the beautiful Capilano Suspension Bridge. Fuller said it wasn't scary at all, but I still don't think I'd like it. Paul took some video of Fuller walking across the bridge and it seems like it sways quite a bit when you get to the middle section. It would totally have made me sick. Paul still says it was neat, but not worth the money.




At the Capilano suspension bridge they have a fantastic collection of totem poles.





Fuller's favorite place that they went on their trip was the Vancouver Aquarium. They saw an impressive dolphin show, sea turtles, sharks and these beautiful belugas.

They also got to see these beautiful jellyfish.



One of Paul's favorite parts of the trip was the BC Mining Museum. They were the only people at the museum the morning they went there so they got a private tour of the mine. They got to ride down into the mine in a little mining car, and go to see lots of old mining equipment. This is a picture of Fuller in front of a toilet car that they use in the mine. ( My boys would of course choose this to take a picture of!)


At the mining museum tour they got to pan for real gold. Fuller is pretty proud of his little baggie of gold, but said it wasn't very fun panning for it since it was freezing cold and he thought his fingers were going to fall off.


Fuller with the big countdown clock for the 2010 Winter Olympics.


Here are some of Fuller's parting thoughts on his vacation.



This impressive sign lets you know you're back in the good old USA! Paul said the border guards going both directions were pretty stern and unfriendly. They held him up quite awhile on his way back into the country. I guess he and Fuller must have been looking pretty suspicious, (must have been the illegal candy they were bringing back for Grayson and Rowan.)


The souvenirs that Paul brought back were a big hit! The little boys had been excited about what presents he would bring them the entire time he was gone.


I was so happy to see them when they got home. That was the longest that I have ever been away from Fuller, and I never sleep well when Paul is gone. I'm glad that they got to have this time together though, I think it meant a lot to both of them.

9 comments:

Paige said...

That looks like an AWESOME trip!! I bet they are already planning the trip for 2009!

Elder Caleb Habel said...

What a fun tradition, something the boys will remember and treasure forever. They look like they had a great time.

Michelle said...

I guess I should have explained that this isn't going to be an every year thing. We are kind of thinking one trip at around 11 and another at around 16. I think we need some "family" spring breaks in between.

Shannon b said...

I'm glad to see they had such a great time! The smile on Fuller's face says it all!

Jodi said...

I love this tradition! Father/son bonding is so important. Looks like they did ALOT while they were gone! Glad they had a fun time :)

Anonymous said...

What a great trip! I loved all the pictures. And I have been to that aquarium and spent over an hour watching the balugas, I was just so intrigued by them!

Toshia said...

How fun! P.S. I am with you about that bridge, there is no amount of money that could get me out on that thing.

Rochelle said...

What a fun trip and Fuller looks so happy!

Marie said...

What a fun trip for Fuller and Paul. Our boys loved their very own summer camping trips they did with Jeff when they were younger.