Thursday, March 20, 2008

A motherhood moment I just wasn't prepared for

When Paul dropped Fuller off at school yesterday things seemed a little odd. They weren't letting the students in the building like they normally do, they were having them wait outside. I found out when I picked him up that afternoon that the teachers were in a special meeting that morning, a meeting to tell them that they needed to tell their classes that a student from their school had died. Unfortunately the student killed was someone Fuller knew fairly well, they have been in scouts together for the last couple years. This sweet boy died in a tragic murder/suicide situation at the hands of his father. Fortunately the school did not share any of the details of his death with the students, just the fact that he had died. I have always tried to protect my children from the harsh realities of the world, but that job is becoming increasingly difficult. Fuller didn't really want to talk about it, or how he was feeling. He did share how strongly it had affected others in his class who had known him. Now Paul and I are faced with a quandary, on the one hand I don't want him to know any more than he already does. I don't want him to have to think about the fact that a parent could do something so terrible. However, if we don't tell him and he hears it from someone else, that might be worse. Because who knows how they would handle the information. We have a little bit of a buffer period right now since there's no school for the next week and a half. At least Fuller won't be around a lot of kids who might be talking about it. What's a mother to do?

11 comments:

sheila said...

Hayden and I talked about it because she also knew him, but not well at all. By the time I saw her after achievement days, the rumor mill had started and what was going around was that he died in a way more brutal fashion than how he did. The kids were saying that his dad shot him and then himself, when in actuality it was carbon monoxide. Which doesn't make it any less sad that this horrible man did this to his son, but hopefully the little boy didn't suffer. He is going to hear something at school, so you may want to talk to him about it.

Paige said...

Aw, I thought of you when I heard the news. I know this has been a hard year for Fuller as it is, without this added tragedy.

Personally I think I would tell my kids what happened. That way you can deal with it and gage his reactions and be there as he processes it. And I would probably do it soon, so he doesn't have to start the grieving process all over again.

I don't know how to explain that someone can be so horrible to their own child. I would probably tell her that some people have something wrong in their heads and they aren't thinking straight. And fortunately in this case, the death was probably peaceful and he didn't hurt. ((((HUGS)))) Michelle. As a 32 year old I have never had anyone super close to me die. I can't imagine having to process that as an 11 year old. Or be the mother of the 11 year old and have to sit by and watch.

Aundrea said...

This was a hard conversation for us to have in our house too. I opted to tell Logan what really happened after I checked on the news websites. It is hard to have to explain to your children about some of the really messed-up stuff that can happen in the world. I hope Fuller can work through this and with the great parents that you guys are, I'm sure he will.

Gina said...

This was definitely a difficult thing. I imagine it will have a profound impact on many of the 8-12 year old boys in our ward because he participated in our ward cub scout pack. I would tell him because he will end up hearing about it anyway (either from school, the news, etc.). My kids came home from school with some pretty horrible rumors, so I wanted them to know what really happened. It is hard when it is someone that we know. This is Shannon's second time dealing with death, when she was in first grade a kid in her class died in a tragic ATV accident, and it was really hard on her. Unfortunately many of life's lessons are not very fun.

Rochelle said...

Due to the rumor mill I did tell my kids the real story. They had many questions that really made it hard. But these are life's lessons, and unfortunatly it is a hard one.

Anonymous said...

Ugh, this is such a hard one. I do agree though that you should sit down with him and tell him, because the last thing you want to have happen is for him to hear it from others (and quite possibly over-exagerated as Sheila pointed out) and then wonder why you didn't help prepare him and tell him yourself? That would be hard on all three of you if any trust issues arose from this, so I really think you should share it with him and help prepare him for the rumors he will inevitably end up hearing after spring break. I was so thrown off when I heard of this while Todd and I were watching the late news last night, because I swear this is the little boy who was in the doctors office waiting room the other day when I was there, and I remember them calling a "Shannon" and both me and this boys mom stood up wondering which of us they meant, so when I heard that his mom's name was Shannon on the news I couldn't help but wonder. Seriously, how bad do things have to be for someone that they would actually feel this is a way to deal with life? I feel so bad for this family, ALL of them.

Tiffini said...

Wow...that is just depressing. I agree with everyone--be there when he finds out the truth. Good luck with that.

Warmbeachjo said...

It's better for you to tell him rather than for him to get misinformation from the neighborhood kids who will have only heard bits and pieces of information. I read about the case in the paper. I bet the judge who authorized that dad's visitation feels horrible.

shermanthepug said...

Oh no. Michelle I am so sorry that the tragedy touched the boys' school. I was so afraid of that when I was watching the news. So sad. Please give Fuller, Grayson and Rowan big hugs from Jim and I.
We look forward to seeing you all on Sunday.
Enid

Michelle said...

Thank you everyone for your comments and support!

Elder Caleb Habel said...

This was good for me. We need to talk to Alyna.