Friday, March 21, 2008

Progress in the garden

Paul and I have been so motivated to get a really great garden going this year, partially spurred on by our current reading choices. He's reading "Square Foot Gardening" and I'm deeply engrossed in "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" by Barbara Kingsolver. This book has really changed the way I look at food, and makes me want to provide as much homegrown organic food for our family as possible. Luckily the kids are really excited about the garden also, and like to eat what they grow.

Paul has really outdone himself on the garden planning. He's constructed a beautiful, Buster proof fence, built plank walkways between the beds and is putting up 6 foot vertical stringers for beans and peas and such. Plus he's brought in two truck loads of manure, and added vermiculite, peat moss and organic fertilizer. This week he bought seed spuds and onion sets, so we're in pretty good shape for this part of March.


The kids have been interested in helping every step of the way.



Look at that beautiful fence!


I don't know quite what happened to these two, I think maybe they breathed in too deeply when Paul was unloading that second load of manure.


6 comments:

Bonnie said...

that is great. When does he want to come over and put together one for me (kidding) I am impressed

sheila said...

I'm completely envious! I would love to have a garden that I could just go pick a tomato whenever I wanted one!

Paige said...

Wow. that is beautiful. Nice work! I may have to borrow those books one of these years when we have the time and dedication to put something like that together.

Shannon b said...

you guys are amazing

Elder Caleb Habel said...

Love, love love that garden spot!!! It is beautiful.

Rochelle said...

Can I have permission to copy your garden plans? That is so cool and beautiful!