Sunday, April 6, 2008

Musical beds

Ever have one of those nights where you wake up more tired than when you went to bed? Last night was one such night. Fuller came home around 7:30 from a birthday party, bragging that he had eaten 6 pieces of pizza plus cake and ice cream. Given Fuller's history we were pretty certain that barfing was on the schedule for the evening. Fuller has a loft bed, so we had him sleep on the floor so he could get to the bathroom quicker. Fortunately we were wrong, and Fuller was the one who got the most sleep. Rowan came downstairs about 10:30 complaining of a bad dream, so I went back upstairs with him and laid with him until he went back to sleep. But, the bad dreams weren't gone for the night, and he came and got into bed with us around 12:30. After a few fitful hours of sleep, with Rowan kneeing and elbowing me in the ribs, I was about ready to carry him back upstairs. Then I realized Grayson was crawling into our bed as well. He apparently also had bad dreams. In retrospect maybe they weren't ready to watch the "Princess Bride". Clearly there wasn't room for all four of us in our bed. Someone had to go. That someone ended up being me. I took my pillow and headed for Rowan's room, where I got a little more sleep before I started hearing kids up playing and watching tv. At this point I grabbed my pillow and headed back to my own room, desperate for a little more rest. I went back to sleep for a while, but really felt like I hadn't slept at all. Sigh. We really should have invested in a king size bed, or a sound proof door with good locks.

4 comments:

Paige said...

We have nights like this all the time! Good to know I am not the only one wearing down the carpet between my room and the kids' rooms!

sheila said...

That was me last night! I slept in way too long Sunday morning so when it was bed time I wasn't ready to sleep. And then between kids' coughing and a husbands snoring and peeing like 12 times a night, I didn't even start sleeping until 3am. Then Brian's alarm and then it was time to get up with the kids. ahh, they are worth it, right??

Candy said...

Yes there are more nights like that around here than I like to admit. Lately though we have been trying really hard to get them into their own beds. We get up so early that I need every minute of sleep I can get. The bad dream thing I think is overused around here:)

Elder Caleb Habel said...

Oh yeah I can relate!