Monday, April 14, 2008

Sun, fun, big deals, and sad goodbyes

This weekend started out on a very positive note. On Friday Rowan and I went into town to run some errands. While we were there we happened to drive by a big toy store, with a sign out front announcing "Final 3 days, 70% off everything." My first instinct was that they must not have anything good left, but I decided it was worth a look. I managed to fill a cart to almost overflowing with things my kids will really like, and all at an amazing price. According to my receipt I saved almost $160, and have lots of things in reserve for birthdays or next Christmas. The funniest part is that Rowan was so excited that I bought him lunch at Burger King on the way home that he seems to have completely forgotten about all the toys I bought. He didn't even tell the other kids we went to a toy store.

Saturday we woke up to a gloriously sunny day. We were so excited for Grayson to finally get to play a baseball game, after having his first two games canceled on account of rain.




















At this level of play third base can be a very boring place. Only one runner ever even made it to third base. I think Grayson spent more time watching the birds flying over head than the game.



















Grayson ended up striking out both times he got up to bat, as did the majority of his team (and the other team). The final score was a 1 to 1 tie. Grayson says he's decided baseball is boring and he isn't going to play next year. So I guess that's two down and one to go in that sport. Maybe Rowan will be my one kid that likes baseball. I kind of doubt it though since he's an "action" kind of guy.


Then I got my kids , plus a few of their friends to work on getting the cars clean.

Once everyone had completely soaked each other, they didn't get too much work done. Fuller was the only one that stuck it out until the job was done. That's why he got paid in cash, while everyone else got paid in ice cream.



























Later I watched Paul do a little planting in the garden. We're crossing our fingers that the frosty nights are behind us.




When we moved here three and a half years ago, our kids quickly made friends with a pair of brothers two houses away. This has been a great set up, someone for everyone to play with. These kids had the added benefit of being nice to Rowan. They are way more tolerant of his tagging along than any of the kids' other friends. They have played together 5-6 days a week since the day they met. Awhile back they sadly announced that they are moving to Nevada. This weekend was their last weekend here. The kids spent about 7 hours together yesterday, enjoying every last minute. The goodbyes were quick, but back at our house the tears were many. Everyone feeling like they were losing their best friend.

We'll be keeping our fingers crossed that whoever buys their house has some nice boys to play with.

3 comments:

Aundrea said...

I can't believe your set-up for your garden...it's amazingly beautiful! I'm gonna have to talk to you about tips when we get our's going.

So sad about the neighbors! I would die if the neighbors across the street with all the girls moved:( I'll keep my fingers crossed for some good, nice boys to move in!

Anonymous said...

Oh, that's so sad about their friends moving.

Paul seems like the garden pro! Todd has been putting a little one together for us this year, but I have lost my green thumb knowing that we are going to be moving out of this house. But he is all about growing our own food, so it will be kind of fun to see how it all works :)

Elder Caleb Habel said...

Sounds like a wonderful weekend. Lots of my favorite things; A good deal, gardening, a clean car, and good friends. Sorry you had to say goodbye.