Friday, May 16, 2008

Flashback Friday- Childhood dreams


(I'm the one kneeling, third from the right)

Like many little girls who grew up in "Rosaria" one of my biggest childhood aspirations was to be a Rose Festival princess. That strikes me as very hilarious now, for some reason. When I was a kid they didn't just have the high school court, there was a jr. rose court, comprised of local grade school girls who were about 8-9. Two girls from my grade school were picked two years in a row. I even tried out one year, but I guess I just wasn't "princess material". So, my friends and I decided the best way to live out our princess dreams was to have our own contest. At least our odds would be better with just the girls from our neighborhood. So we put on our best, most fashionable dresses (this was the 70's so we really didn't have much to pick from), enlisted a couple of dads as judges, and held our own queen and princess selection in my neighbors yard. I was of course sure I would win, my dad was a judge after all. But when the queen and her two princesses were selected I was disappointed again, and angry. A friend of mine who didn't live on our street won, I was so mad at myself for inviting her over! Then the real scandal was revealed, the dads had secretly pulled the winners names out of a hat! They hadn't judged us on our princess like qualities at all! My dad says they should never have agreed to be judges, there was no way every one was going to be happy. Lucky for me he's too nice to remind me of what a brat I must have been that day.

4 comments:

Shannon b said...

what a great idea that you & your friends came up with. sorry, though, that it didn't work in your favor! But you're welcome to borrow my princess tiara anytime!

Rochelle said...

What a great story I absolutely love that the dads participated! YOu look so cute. Next time I see you I expect some proper waveing.

Warmbeachjo said...

I must have some memory loss as I don't remember this event at all. I must have had some more important big sister stuff to do that day.

Aundrea said...

That's so funny! What was up with the girls winning two years in a row?? There must have been some scandle!