Saturday, May 31, 2008

"Guerdon"

It's official....I'm a total nerd. I spent my Friday night watching middle schoolers duke it out in the National Spelling Bee, and was excited to have caught it on TV. I watched amazing 12 and 13 year olds correctly spell words I would never spell right, using their knowledge of Greek and Latin root words to help them along the way. I've always figured I just need a computer with spell checking abilities. There's just something really compelling about kids with the kind of drive and dedication these kids have. In the end it was won by a 12 year old boy from Texas, his final winning word was "Guerdon". (Interestingly, the spell check on my computer thinks this word is spelled wrong.)

2 comments:

Rochelle said...

I love watching spelling bees!!!

Aundrea said...

Sounds like one wild and crazy Friday night:)