Tuesday, May 13, 2008

My Favorite Meal

Comes from this wonderful book:


Balti Butter Chicken

2/3 cup plain yogurt
1/2 cup ground almonds (we usually substitute peanut butter for this)
1 1/2 tsp chilli powder
1/4 tsp crushed bay leaves
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp garam masala
4 green cardamom pods
1 tsp fresh ginger pulp
1 tsp garlic pulp
2 cups canned tomatoes(stewed)
1 1/4 tsp salt
6 1/2 cup chicken, skinned boned and cubed
6 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
2 medium onions -sliced
2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
4 Tbsp cream
cilantro to garnish

1. Mix the yogurt, ground almonds, all dry spices, ginger, garlic, tomatoes and salt in a large mixing bowl.
2.Add diced raw chicken to yogurt mixture and mix until chicken is completely coated- set this aside.
3. In large skillet or frying pan, melt together the butter and oil. Add onions and fry for about 3 minutes.
4. Add the chicken mixture to the frying pan and saute 10-15 minutes- or until chicken seems cooked.
5. Stir in about 1/2 of cilantro and mix well.
6. Pour in cream, mix in well, then bring dish to a boil. Turn down heat and let simmer a few minutes more.
7. Serve hot over rice, or with Naan or pita bread to did in the sauce. We prefer it just with bread.
8. Garnish with remaining cilantro- and try to fish out cardamom pods if possible- they are very strong if you bite into one

A few of the ingredients are not readily available. Paul found a little store in Beaverton called "Indian Food World", where he has been able to buy spices in bulk. If anyone here locally is wanting to try this dish, I'd be happy to share some garam masala and cardamom pods with you. Also, not all of my children think this dish is such a treat. Two of them love it, and one asks for a peanut butter sandwich.

I think this dish is best with hot fresh naan, but pita bread is also good. Also Trader Joes makes a good naan.

Naan

2 tsp active dry yeast
4 Tbsp warm milk
2 tsp sugar
4 cups plain all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2/3 cup milk
2/3 cup plain yogurt, beaten
1 egg, beaten
2 Tbsp melted ghee( ghee is clarified butter, which we don't keep on hand, so we just use regular butter)
flour for dusting
butter for greasing

1. Mix the yeast, warm milk and sugar and leave to become frothy. Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Make a well in the center of the flour, and add the yeast mixture, milk, yogurt, eggs and ghee. Fold in all ingredients.

2. Knead the dough well. Tightly cover the bowl and keep in warm place until the dough doubles in size. Preheat oven to 400. Roll dough out on floured surface.

3. Make each naan slipper shaped, about 10 inches long and 6 inches wide. Place on greased trays and bake in preheated oven for 10 -12 minutes.


The spices in the dish and the lightness of the bread are a really wonderful combination, flavors you don't find too much in American cooking.

3 comments:

Paige said...

Hmmm -- How 'bout I just come over for dinner next time you make it?? I love to cook, but I haven't used a recipe with that many ingredients for years, sadly. And I don't think I have EVER had real Indian food. I am too afraid to go to a restaurant and pay money to try it just to find that I don't like it. I am lame, I know.

Michelle said...

Ok, so I must confess, I have never actually cooked this meal. Paul enjoys a cooking challenge every now and then so this is one meal I leave completely up to him. I personally don't make such involved stuff, but I sure feel loved when Paul spends that much time slaving in the kitchen for me.

Aundrea said...

When I saw the picture on you MD post I was thinking that looked really good! What a sweetheart for making it for you!